The Gilmerton Bridge project replaced the previous double-leaf bascule bridge that was constructed in 1938 with a new lift span bridge.
The new bridge is 1,908 feet long and 85 feet wide, with a vertical clearance of 35 feet in the closed position and up to 135 feet when opened.
DOTQS was selected by VDOT to perform a quality audit on the Supplier selected to fabricate the structural steel for the lift span and its support towers.
The audit was conducted to ensure compliance to the following:
- VDOT Specification and Project-Specific Contract Requirements
- Compliance to AISC Requirements for Major Bridge with Fracture Critical Endorsement and Sophisticated Paint Endorsement
- AWS D1.1, AASHTO/AWS D1.5, and RCSC
- ASTM Specifications for Project Materials
- Supplier’s Quality Management System
The purpose of the audit was to identify any areas of concern early in the fabrication process to ensure a quality product would be delivered on time and within budget.
The audit was conducted over a 3-day period at the Supplier’s two fabrication facilities. A full range of operations were observed, and documents and records were reviewed. The resulting Audit Report documents areas in which the Supplier had effective processes, personnel, and controls, and areas of concern that the Supplier must address to ensure compliance with project requirements.